Vril Dox was Scientist Prime on the planet Colu, disintegrated after a failed attempt to overthrow the planet’s authority, his mind survived and travelled to Earth where it used its vast telepathic and psychokinetic abilities to possess various bodies before downloading itself into various android shells to continue its attempts of galactic conquest.
- Brainiac is the primary antagonist responsible for the events leading up to the influx of Future Lex Luthor's exobytes upon the world's inhabitants.
- Catching the planet unaware, Brainiac manages to encase a large majority of Metropolis and Gotham City in energy fields in preparation for digitisation. Unable to stop him, the Justice League turns to the new exobyte-empowered heroes to turn the tide.
- In the Batcave Raids, Brainiac has located and infiltrated the Batcave in order to obtain Earth's knowledge through the Batcomputer. Players will fight Brainiac's Avatar of Tech, which is the embodiment of what he's learned of Earth's technology, before fighting a robotic drone of Brainiac himself. When defeated, Calculator and Oracle hack into Brainiac's systems and place him in a bottle.
- In the Fortress of Solitude Raids, Brainiac invades Superman's fortress in order to steal the kryptonian Sunstone Crystals hidden there. Superman and Luthor are forced to team up in order to prevent Brainiac from acquiring the crystals and players will have to eventually fight his Avatar of Meta, made from the sunstones.
- In the Themyscira Raid, Brainiac has taken a source of magic called the Flame of Change and has built an Avatar of Magic around it, using the Flame's power to strengthen his troops. Heroes and villains will travel to the island to aid Wonder Woman and Circe in defeating Brainiac's newest Avatar.
- In The Prime Battleground raid, heroes and villains will have their final confrontation with Brainiac as he unleashes his Prime Avatars onto the world.
- Brainiac first appeared in Action Comics #242 (July 1958)
- Brainiac is voiced by Corey Burton, who had previously voiced the character in Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League, and Justice League Unlimited.
- Brainiac boasts a 12th level intellect, whereas humans only possess a 6th level intellect.
- Vril Dox II; aka Brainiac 2, is the clone son of Brainiac. While as cold-hearted and manipulative as his "father", Brainiac 2 freed his home planet from the ruling dictators and became the founder and long-time leader of the interstellar police organization known as L.E.G.I.O.N., which was created following the destruction of the Green Lantern Corps by Parallax (Hal Jordan). Vril later has a son, named Lyrl Dox; aka Brainiac 3.
- Brainiac also has a descendent in the 30th and 31st centuries named Querl Dox; aka Brainiac 5, who worked with the Legion of Super Heroes to atone for his great-great-grandfather's misdeeds. Brainiac 5's ingenuity with technology led to the invention of, amongst other things, the Legion's flight rings and the force field belt which became his signature device in combat. He has also managed to designed various methods of time travel to enable the team to travel to the 20th and 21st centuries.