One of the most long-lived men on the planet, Ra's increases and revitalizes his life by immersing himself in "Lazarus Pits". An international terrorist, Ra's' primary purpose is to restore the Earth's ecological balance by reducing the population of mankind.
Ra's al Ghul was born over six hundred years before current time to a tribe of nomads in a desert in Arabia. Interested in science from an early age but unable to learn any science living as a nomad, he abandoned his tribe to live in the city where he could conduct his scientific research. Growing up, he became a physician and married a woman named Sora, the love of his life.
When Ra's discovered the secret of the Lazarus Pit, he saved a dying prince by lowering him into it. The prince, who was sadistic to begin with, was driven completely insane by the Lazarus Pit and proceeded to strangle Sora, on whom he had already had his eye for some time. The sultan of the city, unwilling to admit to himself his son's culpability, declared Ra's guilty of the murder and sentenced him to a slow, tortured death in a cage with Sora's corpse.
Ra's was set free by the son of one of his previous patients and later heads into the desert where he convinced his nomad tribe to follow Ra's in his quest for revenge. By understanding the germ theory of disease, Ra's was able to infect the prince with a deadly virus through contaminated fabrics. When the sultan of the city came to ask Ra's to cure the prince again, Ra's killed both him and his son and then lead his tribe in razing the city to the ground and killing its inhabitants.
Having now named himself "Ra's al Ghul", Ra's spends the next several centuries journeying the world, using the Lazarus Pits to prolong his life. Over time, he becomes a master of many forms of combat, notably fencing, and builds vast wealth and creates The Demon; a vast international organization whose goal is to retain the balance between nature and the human race.
- Players have to stop Ra's al Ghul from achieving world domination.
- Level 30 villains must help the sorcerer Felix Faust take down Ra's so Faust can gain control of the Lazarus Waters.
- Ra's al Ghul first appeared in Batman #232 (June 1971).
- Ra's al Ghul is voiced by Ben Wolfe.
- Ra's once unleashed a viral plague upon Gotham City in one of his attempts of restoring global balance.
- Ra's al Ghul consistently addresses Batman as "the Detective" as a show of respect to the hero's intelligence and determination. He also refers to Superman as "the Icon".