The Tank or Defensive role is one of the four roles available in DC Universe Online.
This role generally focuses on keeping the group safe by attracting opponents, taking damage in place of other group members and providing control immunity to the group.
Tank armor tends to have high Health and Dominance as well as high Defense or Toughness.
The symbol that represents a tank is a Shield.
In order to acquire the Tank Role, you must select either Earth, Experimental Serums, Fire, Ice or Rage as your power set. Once you reach level 10, you will automatically acquire the Tank Role. In the Tank role you will have increased defensive abilities.
In PVP, Tanks increase maximum Health by +1.45 per point of Dominance rather than increasing Defense, Health, Toughness and Absorption.
|From: Oracle||Subject: Tanks Very Much|
|"Ready to move mountains? You can in your new Tank Role! It boosts your defense and reduces your damage output. Check out the descriptions in the the Traits tab of you Communicator for more on role Bonuses. Plus, if the action gets too heated, you can always switch roles out of combat by using the up button (T on the keyboard)."|
|Attachment: Defender's Loop of Steel|
|Attachment: Defender's Loop of Steel|
Health : The amount of damage a player can take in battle before being knocked out.
- Fire Tanks increase Health by 60% after a power is used.
- Dominance is doubled for all Tank power sets in Tank role.
- Dominance must be higher than enemy Willpower for power control effects to be effective.
- The recommended Dominance for an Alert, Raid or Operation is needed to affect opponents in that content when using power based control effects.
- 4 points of Dominance increases base healing by 1%.
- Power control effect duration is increased by 1 second for every 500 Dominance.
- Tank and Iconic Shields prevent damage equal to Dominance + Restoration.
- Earth Tanks gain 1 point of Defense for every point of Dominance after a power is used.
- Fire Tanks gain 2.2 points of Health for every point of Dominance after a power is used.
- Rage Tanks increase Health by two-thirds Dominance for each nearby enemy after a power is used.
Defense : Reduces incoming damage from Non Player enemies.
- 71 Defense reduces NPC damage by 1% at Level 30.
- Defense is capped at 75% damage mitigation.
- Ice Tanks increase Defense by 90% after a power is used.
Restoration : Restoration increases Healing and increases the potency of certain defensive abilities.
- 4 points of Restoration increases base healing by 1%.
- Tank and Iconic Shields prevent damage equal to Restoration + Dominance.
Tank Role PowersEdit
Any active power cast by a Tank will Taunt opponents in a defined area.
Some powers Taunt in an area around the caster while other powers Taunt in an area around a target.
Most active powers can Taunt up to 8 opponents within the effect area.
Each Tank power set has a single target Taunt that will override a normal Tank Taunt.
A Taunt will raise the Tank to the top of an opponent's Threat table for twelve seconds and can not be normally overwritten. Taunts can not be renewed until ten seconds after the initial Taunt.
Active Iconic and Movement tree powers taunt opponents just as power tree powers.
Note that Boss level opponents have scripted attacks that target an opponent based on certain criteria during which any Taunt will be temporarily ineffective until the scripted attack is completed.
Single Target TauntsEdit
A single target taunt can be useful to split a boss from a group of opponents when running two Tanks.
Group Control ImmunityEdit
Each Tank power set has group control immunity powers that provide Control Effect Immunity to group members and prevent Controller debuffs for 3 seconds.
|Earth||Soothing Sands, Unstoppable|
|Fire||Burning Determination, Burnout, Eternal Flame|
|Ice||Shatter Restraints, Winter Ward|
Positioning or Pulling powers are useful to drag opponents toward the tank.
All positioning powers require a Dominance check to pull an opponent.
|Earth||Earthen Grip, Epicenter|
|Rage||Eviscerating Chain, Ragebringer, Without Mercy|
|Acrobatics||Grapple Line Attack|
|Flight, Skimming||Low Pressure|
|Super Speed||Tornado Pull|
A few Tank powers increase Control Resistance by 10%.
|Ice||Bitter Winds, Cold Snap|
|Ice||Bitter Winds, Hibernation, Ice Elemental, Reflection, Shatter Restraints, Winter Ward|
|Iconic||Amazonium Deflection, Clown Box, Hard Light Shield|
|Super Speed||Dash Attack, Phase Dodge|
|Earth||Envelop, Soothing Sands|
|Fire||Burning Determination, Burnout, Eternal Flame, Reignition, Stoke Flames|
|Absorb Heat, Backdraft, Fiery Weapon, Overheat, Wildfire|
|Ice||Hibernation, Ice Elemental|
|Rage||Ire, Relentless Anger, Severe Punishment, Vindictive|
Requires Damage Out
|Channel Hate, Rage Blast, Ragebringer, Remorseless Recovery, Without Mercy|
|Iconic||Pheromone Bloom, Word of Power|
|Super Speed||Metabolic Boost|
Usable While ControlledEdit
See Also: List of Earth Powers
Earth Tanks gain Damage Absorption and may Transfer additional damage to a Pet.
Using a power in Tank role will grant 25% Damage Absorption and will increase Defense and Toughness by 1 point for every point of Dominance.
Jackhammer or Aftershocks from Gemstone Shield and Upheaval will increase Damage Absorption.
A portion of incoming damage will transfer automatically to a summoned Brick Golem.
Reinforce transfers incoming damage from the team member with the lowest Health to the caster.
- Soothing Sands & Unstoppable provide temporary Control Effect Immunity to teammates.
- Summon Brick Golem transfers 33.3% of incoming Damage to the summoned Golem.
- Reinforce shields a teammate and transfers some of their incoming Damage to the Tank
- Gemstone Shield prevents damage up to Dominance + Restoration.
- Jackhammer increases Damage Absorption to 50%.
- Upheaval increases Damage Absorption to 50% after a single Aftershock.
- Brick Golem will Taunt opponents if the health of the caster falls below 40%.
- Fortify Golem shields and provides power to an active Golem.
- Totem heals any nearby Golem by a small amount and knocks down nearby enemies.
- Earthen Grip is useful as a long range single target pull.
- Epicenter pulls up to 8 nearby enemies toward the caster.
- Stone is a single target taunt that will override other Tank taunts.
See Also: List of Fire Powers
Fire Tanks gain Health and Healing received bonuses and may use multiple Self Heals to restore Health.
Using a power in Tank role will increase Health by 60% and any Healing received increases by 80%.
Fire Tanks also gain 2.2 additional Health for every point of Dominance and receive an increase in Restoration with item level 81 or higher gear.
Fire Self Heals include Absorb Heat, Backdraft, Burning Determination, Wildfire, Burnout, Overheat, Fiery Weapon, Stoke Flames, Eternal Flame and Reignition.
- Burning Determination, Burnout and Eternal Flame provide temporary Control Effect Immunity to teammates.
- Burning Determination, Burnout, Eternal Flame, Reignition and Stoke Flames are unconditional Self Heals.
- Burning Determination and Stoke Flames provide a large heal followed by smaller heals over time.
- Absorb Heat, Backdraft, Fiery Weapon, Overheat and Wildfire will self heal when used on Burning enemies.
- Backdraft pulls up to 8 nearby enemies toward the caster.
- Flashpoint, Enflame and Reignition are Radial crowd control abilities.
- Reignition is a 25% Supercharge Self Heal that applies Burning and crowd control.
- Eternal Flame is a 50% Supercharge Self Heal that doubles Health and applies Burning.
- Fireball is a single target taunt that will override other Tank taunts.
See Also: List of Ice Powers
Ice Tanks gain Defense and Toughness bonuses and may use multiple shields to prevent damage.
Using a power in Tank role will increase a character's Defense and Toughness by 90%.
Ice Shields include Reflection, Winter Ward, Bitter Winds, Shatter Restraints and Ice Elemental.
- Cold Snap, Ice Bash and Reflection provide a Chill effect.
- Five consecutive Chill effects activates Ice Armor which provides the 90% Defense Tank bonus.
- Bitter Winds, Shatter Restraints, Winter Ward and Ice Elemental absorbs damage up to Dominance + Restoration.
- Shatter Restraints and Winter Ward provide temporary Control Effect Immunity to teammates.
- Reflection absorbs damage from the next three attacks up to 10,000 + Dominance.
- Winter Ward extends damage prevention to three teammates.
- Inescapable Storm is a ranged pull that may affect up to 8 enemies.
- Ice Elemental is a 50% Supercharge that triples Health & Defense and Self Heals.
- Frost Snipe is a single target taunt that will override other Tank taunts.
See Also: List of Rage Powers
Rage Tanks gain Health based on the number of enemies and may temporarily defer damage.
Using a power in Tank role increases Health by two-thirds of their Dominance for each nearby enemy.
Relentless Anger and Severe Punishment activate a Rage mode that defers damage into a Rage Crash.
Several Rage powers have mechanics that reduce or ignore the delayed Rage Crash damage.
Some Rage powers heal based on outgoing damage.
- Ferocity and Ire provide temporary Control Effect Immunity to teammates.
- Without Mercy, Ragebringer and Eviscerating Chain are positioning abilities.
- Relentless Anger and Severe Punishment activate a Rage mode that heals and defers damage into a Rage Crash.
- Bloodlust, Galling Eruption, Lacerate, Remorseless Recovery & Violence reduce the damage from a Rage Crash by 50%.
- Dreadful Blast, Eviscerating Chain, Outrage, Plasma Retch & Revenge can be used to ignore damage from a Rage Crash.
- Vindictive is a supercharge that Self Heals and provides immunity to Rage Crash.
- Redirected Rage absorbs damage up to Dominance + Restoration.
- Rage Blast is a single target taunt that will override other Tank taunts.
- Without Mercy, Rage Blast, Ragebringer, Remorseless Recovery, and Channel Hate provide a Self Heal based on the damage dealt.
Skills and Iconic PowersEdit
|Breakout Mastery||Acrobatics, Flight, Skimming, Super Speed|
|Knockback Resistant||Acrobatics, Super Speed|
|Restraint Resistant||Flight, Skimming, Super Speed|
|Stun Resistant||Acrobatics, Flight, Skimming|
|Knockback Recovery||Acrobatics, Super Speed|
|Restraint Recovery||Flight, Skimming, Super Speed|
|Stun Recovery||Acrobatics, Flight, Skimming|
Movement Active Skills
Active Movement Skills will Taunt and activate Tank role bonuses just as super powers found in the main trees. Skill Points are used to purchase Movement Skills allowing additional Tank loadout options.
|Control Breakout Supercharge|
Passive Iconic PowersEdit
A few Passive Iconic powers may be useful to Tanks if Power points are available:
- Powerful Resistance: Adds 200 Health
- Intimidating Gaze: Adds 80 Dominance in Tank role
- Dominance is added to Restoration for Self Heals and affects damage prevention Shields
- Fire Tanks gain 2.2 points of Health for each point of Dominance so this adds 176 Health
- Earth Tanks gain 1 point of Defense for each point of Dominance so this adds 80 Defense
- Rage Tanks gain Health equal to 2/3 of Dominance for each nearby enemy so this adds 53 Health for every enemy
- Nanoweave Armor: Adds 200 Defense & 200 Toughness
Active Iconic PowersEdit
Iconic Powers will taunt and activate Tank role bonuses just as super powers found in the main trees.
- Hard Light Shield: Damage Prevention = Restoration + Dominance
- Amazonium Deflection: Adds 5000 Defense; Knocks down & Stuns nearby opponents
- Mesmerizing Lasso: Ranged single target Pull that will override other Tank taunts.
Always spec into Weapon Mastery on the equipped weapon to gain Resistance to Control Effects when using Weapon Combos. Also spec into the +50 Health / +7 Dominance bottom tier skills to increase survivability.
Weapon combos can be used as Crowd Control mechanisms as some Knockdown, Stun, Juggle or Push opponents. Weapon Interrupt and Block Break combos should be used to counter opponents granting you temporary immunity.
Brawling and Hand Blast should be the first Weapon trees to spec into for stats as Health and Dominance are first tier skills. Health is also a first tier skill in One-Handed, Rifle, Shield and Two-Handed. Dominance is a first tier skill in Dual Wield and Staff. Defense is a first tier skill in Bow, Dual Pistols, Dual Wield, Martial Arts and Staff. Refer to the Weapon Types page for a breakdown of innate bonuses.
|Blue Slots||Dominance & Health or Health|
|Yellow Slots||Restoration & Health or Health & Power|
|Red Slots||Precision & Health or Might & Health|
|Weapon Slot||Absorption Adapter|
|Neck Slot||Fortified Blocking|
|Back White Slot||Breakout Protection or Breakout Regeneration|
|Feet White Slot||Deadly Block or Explosive Block|
|Chest White Slot||Core Strength or Reserve Tank|
|Hands White Slot||Regenerative Shielding|
It is the job of a tank to reduce the overall damage a group takes. A Tank should disable and taunt enemies whenever possible with area effect powers that knockdown, juggle or stun. Pulling enemies and gathering them in one large group will make this easier. Powerful attacks should be dodged by moving out of range or breaking line of sight.
Blocking is extremely effective if done right. It will reduce incoming damage by 75%, interrupt most weapon combos by stunning the attacker and provide protection against most crowd control effects. A Tank should always block if overwhelmed, if the healer can't keep up with the damage or if a big attack is coming and can not be dodged. However, blocking too long may strain power generation and cause enemies to bypass the Tank as active powers are necessary to taunt opponents.