Originally criminal scientist Gerard Shugel, who was active during the 1940s, when Gerard's body was stricken with a terrible disease, he transferred his super-intelligent brain into the enhanced body of a rare white gorilla.
Now the super-strong Ultra-Humanite, Gerard travels through time hoping to find the perfect era in which he can conquer the Earth.
(JSA #34-37) - The Ultra-Humanite used Johnny Thunder’s Thunderbolt to conquer the world, and imprisoned Manhunter and virtually every superhuman on Earth. The Humanite mind-controlled Manhunter and a number of other telepaths, using them as his Mindsweepers so he could extend his mental domination over a greater number of superhumans. The JSA used a device that disrupted the braincaps Humanite used to control the Mindsweepers, freeing them from Humanite’s control. Later Martian Manhunter and the JSA attended the funeral of Johnny Thunder.
- The Ultra-Humanite is the final boss for the Gorilla Island alert.
- The Ultra-Humanite is one of the random iconic encounters for heroes in Alternate Metropolis during the Brothers in Arms operation.
- The Ultra-Humanite first appeared in Action Comics #13 (June 1939).
- His voice was provided by Brian Jepson.
- The Ultra-Humanite is considered by many to be Superman's first significant arch nemesis and one of the first reoccurring-super villains in comic book history.
- The Ultra-Humanite has escaped death many times by transferring his brain into other bodies; including film star Dolores Winters, a giant ant, a Tyrannosaurus Rex and the hero Johnny Thunder.