Veronica Cale is a successful millionaire, corporate CEO and skilled pharmaceutical scientist who worked hard to get where she is despite it being a “man’s world”. As such, she resents how Wonder Woman manages to find similar public acceptance comparitively easily and finds her "simplistic reasoning" for peace amongst humans hypocritical for an Amazon who was not human.
Born to a father who left before she was born, and a mother who died early of cancer, Cale was non-the-less able to gain a number of doctorate degrees and became a self-made millionaire and philanthropist.
Becoming a founding partner of Cale-Anderson Pharmaceuticals with her friend Leslie Anderson. Cale worked hard to get to her position of power and so became envious when the Amazon ambassador Wonder Woman arrived to global acceptance.
Believing that her accomplishments should have made her more worthy of the people’s reverence than Wonder Woman, when Diana wrote Reflections; a study of humanity through Amazon philosophy, Cale sought to discredit her by using quotations from the book without context to spin the media against her. Allying with Doctor Psycho to continue her campaign against Wonder Woman, Cale was instead captured by Psycho and was rescued by the very woman she sought to victimize.
Cale is later coerced by Circe into becoming the legal guardian of Circe's daughter in exchange for Circe’s involvement in Cale’s campaign. However, this arrangement is dissolved when Ares kidnaps Circe's daughter from Themyscira. Circe abandons Cale until Cale manages to return her daughter to her with Wonder Woman’s help.
When Wonder Woman killed Maxwell Lord during the Infinite Crisis, Cale was momentarily satisfied by the media’s scrutiny towards the Amazon until she was kidnapped by Chang Tzu and forced to work on Oolong Island. After releasing the Four Horsemen on the Black Marvel family, and Black Adam's subsequent rampage, Cale became the President of Oolong Island after she attained sovereignty of the island through force.
- Cale appears in the Oolong Island alert attempting to use her passwords to regain control of the rampant machines on the island's docks while at the same time ordering the fleeing scientists to return to their projects.
- Cale also appears as Poison Ivy's accomplice in the Spring event.
- Following increased Paradox Reaper activity in Central City, Cale works alongside LexCorp to discover the cause and instructs New Villains in supporting LexCorp forces against the Reapers before allowing them access to the Cosmic Treadmill to deal with the source of the Paradox activity.
- Cale first appeared in Wonder Woman #196 (November 2003)
- Cale is voiced by Debra Cole.
See also Edit
- Veronica Cale Wikipedia